[personal profile] ismo
There will be no more Madame Days, for Madame is no longer with us. I woke up this morning to a text on the group chat from Mademoiselle, saying that her mom "was going," and that the rest of us need not come unless we wanted to. It had been a few minutes between the text being sent and my becoming vertical, so I texted back to ask if she had company, and if she would like me to come. She said that her mom was already gone, and she was fine. So I didn't go. I'm grateful for the inner prompting that sent me to visit her on Tuesday, when I was still useful. I had thought of going again yesterday, but Mademoiselle and her sister were with her then. It was a day for family--her last, as it turned out. So I had my chance on Tuesday to be with her once more and say what I felt pretty sure was goodbye. We had a long walk together to this point, and I'm so glad for her that she has finally eluded the narrow space she temporarily inhabited, and returned to a greater world.

I keep feeling as if all that happened long ago, or on some other day. It has seemed like a very long day for some reason. Once I knew there was nothing further for me to do, I returned to our regularly scheduled activities. In this case, that meant driving the Sparrowhawk to his medical pedicure. That used to take place in a more convenient location, but has now been moved to a place half an hour away, just about as far as the gym. I had my choice between busy and crowded surface streets and the worst highway--the one where the cows got loose yesterday. I picked the surface streets. Poor Sparrowhawk! His feet were a wreck. The pedicurist is very deft and professional. She repaired the damage and made him much more comfortable. We agreed that seeing her every two months is not enough, and made a appointment at a nearer date.

you done good.

Date: 2026-09-11 06:19 am (UTC)
siriosa: (Default)
From: [personal profile] siriosa
you asked "what will i wish i had done," and then you went ahead and did it.
it was an expensive kindness, and you grudged not a penny/pang of it.

my wife's feet were tragic for years, until last december she finally consented to let me test out my hypothesis, that regular emoliation would help. the situation was dire, so we started with bag balm. she situated herself in bed, with a towel under her feet; i ran hot water over a washcloth, got a foot nicely damp, and slathered it on. pulled a sock on it so the sheets didn't get the goo on them. (then the other foot.) two months in, when her regular pedicurist returned from several weeks visiting relatives, she exclaimed "less work for linda!" after about six months, we graduated to coconut oil.

holding you and yours in the life, dear one.

Date: 2026-09-11 03:31 pm (UTC)
oracne: turtle (Default)
From: [personal profile] oracne
I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm glad you got to see her one last time.

Profile

ismo

September 2026

S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 45
6 7 89 10 1112
13141516 1718 19
202122 23 2425 26
27 282930   

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 30th, 2026 02:06 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios